Student plans to meet Shawn Mendes

Sophomore+Nicole+Borelli+plans+to+meet+Shawn+Mendes+for+her+birthday.+

Josh Jones

Sophomore Nicole Borelli plans to meet Shawn Mendes for her birthday.

Briana Queen, Writer

On September 23, 2016, 18 year old singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes announced his first arena world tour where he is the main artist performing in support of his new album Illuminate that will begin in 2017. He has 44 show dates throughout the U.S. and Europe, including 3 shows in Florida. This is Mendes’ second album following his first album “Handwritten”, which was released in August of 2015. In an iHeart Radio interview, Shawn stated “[Fans] might be surprised by some of the content in some of the songs. It’s a lot more mature. What I’m talking about is a bit more grown up, so I think maybe they’ll be surprised by some of that. It’s only been a year [since Handwritten was released], but when I wrote Handwritten, I was 15. And when I wrote Illuminate, I was 17/18”. Shawn will be performing at Amalie Arena in Tampa on July 25, 2017, American Airlines Arena in Miami on July 26, 2017, and at Amway Center in Orlando on July 28, 2017. Upon finding out that Shawn Mendes is coming to the bay area, students and fans have begun to show how they feel about the news. With tickets already being sold, sophomore Kyleigh Little states “I hope I get Shawn Mendes tickets for Christmas because I’ve been a fan of him since he was a Vine star when he was 15, his music is so catchy and he has a great voice”. Kyleigh also explained that she believes teens look up to Shawn because “being discovered at a young age is inspirational to others trying to reach their goals”. Another fan, sophomore Nicole Borrelli, stated “I’ve been to three of his concerts and I’m meeting him at the next one for my sixteenth birthday” while also adding that she believes the concert “is going to be so amazing because he has matured since his last album and his songs are emotional and have a lot of meaning”. All in all, Shawn Mendes is going to Illuminate the sunshine state next year, leaving many fans excited.