Students see marine life on field trips

Katie Peterson

Ms. Copello’s Marine Science classes went to Tampa Bay Watch, pictured here, last week.

Brianna Patenaude, Writer

The last few weeks have been filled with interesting events for Ms. Copello’s Marine Science I and II classes. Last week, students from Marine Science II went to Tampa Bay Watch, where they went out into the water to observe aquatic life, and this week Marine Science I will go to the Florida Aquarium.

According to Ms. Copello, students did two different activities when surveying plants and animals at Tampa Bay Watch.  First, seining, which is “using a net to capture small organisms near shore”, and second, the act of using an otter trawl, which is a “net thrown off the back of a boat to sample bottom dwellers in deeper water.” Junior Katie Peterson was one of the students to experience the trip itself.

“I went to the Tampa Bay Watch to get more into what marine biology was like,” Peterson said. “My favorite part of the trip was going out on a boat and netting to find organisms on the ocean floor.”

As for the Florida Aquarium trip, Copello also has specific activities planned. “We will be looking at the diversity of plants and animals that are found in Florida waters in different ecosystems.” Copello also has a scavenger hunt for students to do.

Ms. Copello feels that there is a great importance to studying marine life. “Three-fourths of the world is covered in water–most of which is the ocean. We use the ocean for resources and recreation. Our livelihood is also influenced by the ocean in the form of storms and climate.” This outlook on marine science is also matched with Copello’s own enthusiasm. “We talk about so many different aspects of the ocean. I like to give some experiences of looking at things we could talk about. I wish we could do more.