Wow, that skunk!

One of Mr. Schwartz’s biology students working with the artificial stunk liquid.

Allison Richards, Writer

“It’s one day,” said biology teacher Mr. Schwartz.  “It’s not even that horrible.” Mr. Schwartz is talking about the stench that wafted through Osceola’s halls on Monday, August 22.  Whatever the rumors may be about where the odor came from, the fact is that it came from Mr. Schwartz – his biology classes that is.  His biology students studied a video conducted by the infamous Myth Busters that involved the experimentation of the qualities of classical remedies for those unfortunate enough to be sprayed by a skunk.  This year Mr. Schwartz had his biology classes conduct their own experiments testing the credibility of remedies like tomato juice, commercial brand skunk smell repellent and a home brewed remedy.  Let’s not forget the most important variable in this scientific equation, the skunk stench.  This artificial skunk spray was doused with each remedy and the goal was to do trials to see which remedy masked the grotesque smell even a little.  But from the reaction students had when walking past Mr., Schwartz’s room Monday, it can be assumed none worked…..whatsoever.  Now if you’re familiar with Mr. Schwartz’s Bio class last year then you remember when he brought in a few small vials of artificial skunk smell that left the class blanketed with a cloud of stink.  So just imagine one or two small bottles of that stuff being used.  “It seemed worse than last year!” commented sophomore Caroline Adikes, a former student of Mr. Schwartz’s infamous bio class.  Even though students were surprised, the “important people were warned,” said Mr. Schwartz.  So faculty members like Deputy Shorter were forewarned well in advance and were prepared for the reaction of students that Mr. Schwartz found “hilarious”.  So if you were wondering “what was that smell?” Monday, Myth Busted.