Sophomore parking fills up

Josh Jones

The sophomore student parking lot is full.

Kyla MacDonald, Writer

The sophomore parking lot has created several problems amongst the students. Last year, when students wanted a spot for parking, bookkeeping placed the students in the teacher parking lot.Then the school took up the project of establishing a parking lot specifically for sophomores. Workers cleared a basketball court, “only producing 40 spots” Mrs. Smith explained.

To have a spot reserved for you, you must bring “your license, registration, and five dollars,” Mrs. Smith, bookkeeping, explained. Mrs. Smith continued, “All the spots are taken up; the only chance of getting a spot is when a student leaves the school. The first person on the list is allowed to get the spot.” Sophomores were allowed to apply for spots a few months after school started, although most students apply for spots the beginning of second semester. When all the spots are taken, there’s a waiting list for students, yet there is no guarantee for a spot. Some students lucked out on the chance to get a spot, such as Sophomore Marissa Sweetland. Marissa said, “I got a car to drive to school, so my dad wouldn’t arrive late to work. Not having a spot doesn’t help either of our situations.”

While Marissa may be stuck on the waiting list, another sophomore, Kiara Morrissey, has an actual spot. Kiara reserved her spot once applying opened up, allowing her to have a definite spot. Kiara explains, “We should make expansions. Once all the spots are taken, they’re gone for most of the year.” The thought of expansion may create a problem due to the limited amount of space.