Warrior volleyball looking to build on last season

Josh Jones

Peyton Mitchell, 11th grade, spikes the ball to give her team the lead.

Jake Nicholas, Writer

For years, the Warrior volleyball team has been known to be made up of hardworking working individuals who not only love to play the sport, but also play as one of the best teams in the county. This year, the girls are stronger than ever.

So far this season, the Warriors are 8-2 with the only losses against East Lake High School and St. Petersburg High School. “This year feels different,” said junior Peyton Mitchell, “when we are all on the court, we understand where everyone will be.” Many of the girls have played on the team since freshman year. “Last year we didn’t have many seniors on the team, so it was really helpful for the team chemistry that much of the team is the same.” The regular season is coming to an end and the Warriors aren’t slowing down. “We know that at the end of the season many teams get tired and don’t play to their full potential, so we know it’s important for us to keep pushing on so we keep getting wins.”

In the last volleyball rankings by the Tampa Bay Times, the team is ranked 16th out of teams in Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Citrus County. Mitchell said, “It’s nice to see our team being considered as a top team in the county, however we won’t stop practicing and playing hard until we are the number one team.” To see the rankings click here. The players are hoping to keep up the tradition of having strong teams each year. The next game for the team is at Northeast High School, October 3rd at 7:30 P.M.