Track is back!

Josh Jones

This is just some of the clothing that track students can wear from the orange and blue racing flats on race day to the old track logo shirt for school.

Allison Richards, Writer

It is that time of year again and spring sports are starting to make an appearance. The Warrior nation has a variety of sports to pick from to suit their need like baseball to softball, football to flag football, and tennis to track and field.  Any returning or new students who are interested in any of the spring sports can go to Osceola’s athletic page and check out the dates as well as the coaches for each sport.  Students interested in track and field especially might want to review the athletic chart due to some changes made to the track and field 2017 schedule. 

Originally tryouts were scheduled to begin on January 31st at 2:00 on the track located on the left of the campus where a multitude of Osceola’s sports fields are found.  But after a revision to the athletic page and a call sent out by assistant principal Mr. Robertson, track and field tryouts are set to begin on Monday, January 23rd at 2:00 instead.   The regular season is set to begin on February 13th after tryouts and it ends the first week of May. Remember Warriors, especially the new additions to the Warrior Nation, that there is mandatory paperwork that needs to be filled out to even try out for any spring sport.  All information concerning these forms can be found once again on Osceola’s official website under the athletic tab.  

There are many different subsections which are labeled under the broad topic of track and field. The head coach for girls track, Coach Eagleson, stated that there are “17 events” for students to try out for over the span of the few week tryouts.  Former track runner and junior Abby Polce said “I remember there being a plethora of people there (at tryouts) because of all the different events”. The field events include sports such as pole vaulting, high jump, long jump, discus and shotput. While track has a variation of long distance, short distance, and hurtles or relays. “If students like to run, I highly recommend track,” Polce said. And if you don’t necessarily like to run, then you can look to one of the other field events.  Coach Eagleson isn’t the only one out with the track team. He said that there is “Coach Blakeney, Head coach of Boys, Assistant Coach Gary Mabe, Assistant Coach Carroll Yates” present as well. Polce recalls that track “is a great way to test your athletic ability and it is a great bonding experience”.