Red Sled stops at Osceola

Josh Jones

Sophomore Kylee Brooks is excited to participate in the Red Sled campaign.

Allison Richards, Writer

The Interact club is pairing up with the Rotary club to collect items for the Red Sled toy collection Friday, December 2.  Members of the Interact club will be volunteering during the boys’ basketball game Friday from 5:30 to 8:30 in front of the cafeteria to collect cash, gift cards, or new toys.  The Rotary club is essentially an “adult” version of the Interact club that students participate in at school. “They are professionals in the community looking to volunteer and better our city, county and even our world.” said Ms. Hlavacka, who leads the Interact club.  Due to the similarities in both clubs, “We work together to find projects that need support” said Hlavacka.  On Friday, Warriors are not only volunteering for the possible hours, Osceola has set the goal to reach “to raise 100 toys and $400 cash” Ms. Hlavacka stated.  The Red Sled campaign takes the toys as well as the money collected by the club and distributes it to thousands of children in need throughout the Pinellas County area. The drive is collecting toys for children of all ages ranging from younger children to older teens.  And even though the campaign is labeled as a toy collection, their “biggest need for high school aged students” Ms. Hlavaka stated.  This is why “toy” is a broad term, items such as CDs or headphones can be donated for the teens as well. “I think this is an excellent campaign for children to receive gifts and for others to give back” said sophomore Kylee Brooks.  If you would like to donate to the Red Sled campaign students will be near the red sled in front of the cafeteria on Friday, December 2.