Disney and Dali: dazzling downtown St. Petersburg

Brianna Patenaude, Writer

The Dali Museum is known for its unique exhibits focusing on famous artists in history, with some of its past shows featuring art heavyweights such as Pablo Picasso and Andy Warhol. Now, the museum is entering a brand new phase of its exhibits–it will be hosting “Disney and Dali: Architects of the Imagination” until June 12, 2016.
According to the Dali Museum official website, the show will include a number of drawings, paintings, concept works, photos, and other forms of interactive media that compare and contrast both Disney and Dali, and document their artistic journeys as well as their friendship. The exhibit will also have, for the first time, a virtual reality experience. Visitors can put on a headset and be immersed in a 3D version of the Dali painting “Archaeological Reminiscence of Millet’s ‘Angelus’”. Tickets for adults ages 18 to 64 are $24, seniors 65 and up are $22, and students 13 to 17 are $17. More ticket prices for children as well as museum specials can be found on the museum website.
Mr. Stewart, teacher of AP Art History, Literature and the Arts, Creative Writing, and English, visited the exhibit himself.
“I would never have put gooey, drippy Dali with shiny, sparkling clean, Norman Rockwell Walt Disney—but the Dali [Museum] did, and they were right. There are a lot of similarities, aside from the fact that they worked together,” Stewart said.
Stewart said that both artists incorporate similar elements into their works–their art is influenced by terror, wonder, awe, and can even be seen as magical.
“Both Disney and Dali distort business as usual,” Stewart said. “For Disney, Donald Duck’s eyes come out of his head. For Dali, he looks at normal reality and sees the atoms humming and pulsing and vibrating just below our ability to see them.”