Did you say chocolate?

Justine Zitman

This card and flowers are other popular gifts that are associated with Valentine’s Day.

Allison Richards, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day.  It is a day of love and romance or National Singles Awareness Day, depending on your Facebook status.  Now these are two extremes on this romantically themed holiday, but contrary to the stereotypes of this holiday, February 14 isn’t all about a relationship or the absence of one. It is more or the gifting aspect of it.  As reported in USA Today, the Cost of Loving index projected that 18.2 billion would be spent on Valentine’s Day this year. One of the most popular gifts given or bought for self-indulgence is chocolate. Also, 49.7 percent of people celebrating the holiday are planning to purchase this sweet treat.  As Sophomore Kylee Brooks said, “Chocolate is comforting through the good and bad times! Some people have relationships, some people don’t, and it’s a win- win.”  At least 36 million heart shaped boxes of chocolate are sold each year, according to Good Housekeeping.  Plus this sweet treat comes in many shapes, sizes, colors, and flavors advertising to a wide variety of the population. 

Why do people associate Valentine’s Day with chocolate?  According to Nielsen research reported by CNN,  58 million pounds of chocolate is sold in America alone during Valentine’s Day week. Well, this “sweet and aphrodisiac treat”, as Sophomore Hana Newby puts it, has been around for hundreds of years, even used by the Mayans in a bitter drink and eaten by the elite in European countries. The honest truth is that no one really knows why chocolate became a fan favorite for the holiday of red roses and soppy love letters.  It could have been that candy makers wanted to increase sales between Christmas and Easter or it was just a happy accident, but either way the answer will continue to be a mystery.  As Sophomore Marissa Sweetland said, “Chocolate makes you happy, and you’re supposed to be happy on Valentine’s Day.”