Fry frenzy

Josh Jones

McDonald’s is not as unhealthy as you might think when compared to Chick-fil-A fries.

Allison Richards, Writer

Everyone can get those after school cravings from time to time.  There are so many quick stops where you can grab a bite, but a pretty common fast food snack is the French fry.  There are a variety of places that sell French fries: Checkers, Wendy’s, and Steak n’ Shake just to name a few.  Each has their own taste, but there are two that I will focus on: Chick-Fil-A and McDonald’s. 

Sophomore Courtney Wood said, “I think Chick-Fil-A is healthier”.  The facts are, based on calorie intake, McDonald’s French fries are a healthier choice.  According to McDonald’s official website, their medium sized classic French fries have only 340 calories per serving.  That is in comparison to Chick-Fil-A’s medium sized waffle fry which holds 400 calories per serving according to Chick Fil A’s official website.  That is 60 calories more.  If you’re not convinced just based on the calories in each then there are also other statistics to go by as well.  McDonald’s website also the statistics on the medium fry’s total fat and carbs.  It has 16 grams of total fat and 44 grams of carbs.  Looking at the same thing on Chick-Fil-A’s website the medium fry has a total fat count of 24 grams and 43 carbs.  Now the carbs are in favor of Chick-Fil-A in this case with them being 1 gram less then McDonald’s fries.  Wood also said, “I thought that they would be because they are more expensive”. While Sophomore Kylee Brooks said, “Chick-Fil-A because its not as greasy and made with coconut oil, at least the chicken is”.  According to Chick-Fil-A, their waffle fries are made in canola oil. So no matter which one is your favorite, at least you now know a little more about what you’re eating.