Sweet but healthy

Snacks like strawberries are not only healthy but are also sweet.

Ava LoSchiavo, Sports Editor/Writer

After school, students may be hungry and want to eat but not so much that they are not hungry for dinner. Healthy snacks are good for this type of situation. Some healthy options for snacks that students have at home would be fruit, carrots with ranch or maybe broccoli. These are easy to make and don’t take much time at all. “When I get home from school, I often like to have an apple with peanut butter. It’s healthy and quick,” said Zoe Pillion, 9th grade. When having a snack, students want to make sure that it’s healthy and  good for them. Having a habit of eating junk food can cause students to have health problems in the future. Some students say they like the taste of healthy foods. “I often like to eat strawberries when I get home from school,” said BrieOnna Mayhew, 9th grade.  It’s a choice teens make every day.  “When getting home from school, I often want to grab a bag of chips but I know that the peach may be better for me and my health in the long run,” said Kendyl Sheffield, 9th grade.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, eating junk food is a reason that many people have chronic diseases or obesity.  People often choose junk food over healthy food because it cost less and is easier to access. Often people are busy and junk food is the fastest option for them.