COVID-19 didn’t scare the Halloween parks

Even OFHS offices are in the Halloween spirit.

Payton St. Cyr, Staff Writer

Busch Gardens isn’t scared off by Covid.  Its annual Halloween horror nights are on. Another big park gave the event the thumbs-down.  Universal’s website states that “Halloween Horror Nights” will not open this year “due to the ongoing pandemic.” Busch Gardens Howl-o-scream contains 6 scare zones each designed with different themes and mapped out with different twists and turns. One major health and safety rule being put in place this year for Busch Gardens is the concept of “open-air scare zones and entertainment.” Four other rules that have been enforced are, “employee and guest temperature screening, face covering requirement, physical distancing, and cleaning and sanitation.” The park has been open since late September.

How do students feel about the park opening this year? Is it safe? Olivia Palmer, 10th grade, said, “Yes, I feel it is safe considering the circumstances. When ordering tickets, there is only so many people that can come on a day and you must order in advance, which is different than past years I’ve went. You have to wear a mask the whole time and no houses this year just scare zones so it’s still in an outside area.”

Still with masks required and social distancing taking place, this may still be an event not for everyone. Brianna Brinker, 9th grade, said, “I think it is pretty safe if you wear your mask and social distance. The lines are social distanced, and they have hand sanitizer in multiple places. I would be very cautious, and I wouldn’t go if you have any medical disorder.” 

While Busch Gardens may be opening back up, Universal Studios has decided to close their horror nights for 2020. According to Orlando.halloweenhorrornights.com, “Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Orlando Hollywood will be focusing exclusively on operating its theme parks for daytime guests only.”