Women peacefully protest post inauguration

Kaitlyn Kennedy

People joined the Women’s March in the streets of St. Petersburg.

Briana Queen, Writer

On Saturday, January 21, in Washington, DC, more than 1 million people, according to the Washington Post, gathered for the Women’s March in Washington. The march was open to all genders, races, and sexualities. According to crowd scientists, the crowd was about three times bigger than the crowd at President Trump’s inauguration. In addition to the march in Washington, roughly 600 other marches took place around the world in support of the cause, including one in St Pete. The goal of the people participating was to peacefully come together to fight for women’s rights, gay rights, and gender and racial equality.  As included in the March’s Statement of principals, “We must create a society in which all women — including black women, Native American women, poor women, immigrant women, Muslim women, lesbian, queer and trans women — are free and able to care for and nurture their families, however they are formed, in safe and healthy environments free from structural impediments.” Several students supported the Women’s March in Washington from home or by attending the march that took place in St. Pete where over 18,000 people gathered. Sophomore Tina Nguyen believes that the march was “a powerful and amazing thing to help us fight through recent events, and to just show each other how amazing, beautiful, and worthy a woman really is.” Sophomore Kaitlyn Kennedy, who attended the march in St. Petersburg, stated,  “Being at the march was an extremely empowering experience. The current political climate is making a lot of people feel vulnerable, and in spite of that, the march gave many of us a chance to be heard. I was glad to be a part of it.” 

For updates and more information on the Women’s March, visit https://www.womensmarch.com/