Coffee: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Jordan Waits, Web Editor

OPINION

“If I don’t have my coffee, don’t even talk to me,” says Kaitlyn Merrill, 12th grade. It’s no lie that coffee is a big hit amongst the students of Osceola. Not only do many students rely on multiple cups to get them through the day, it is also easily attainable via Snore-no-More.

But how much coffee is too much coffee? According to an article by livestrong.com, coffee can be safe if caffeine levels do not raise about 400 milligrams. However popular coffee brands such as Starbucks can contain caffeine levels anywhere from 25 to 300. One popular brand of Starbucks coffee, the blonde roast contains up 360 milligrams of caffeine, for only a medium size according to the official Starbucks website. According to livestrong.com, excessive daily amounts of caffeine cause problems that range from upset stomachs, increased levels of anxiety, and even muscle tremors.

However, there are always alternatives to these highly caffeinated drinks: decaf! One medium cup of decaf coffee at Starbucks contains only 25 milligrams of coffee, which is a lot less scary than the 360 milligrams. Unfortunately, some students can’t always pay Starbucks high prices. “I wish I could stop before school to get coffee at Starbucks,” Kaitlyn said. “However, it’s just way too expensive. I’d rather use that money on gas.” Snore-no-More used to offer a decaf brand a few years ago, however they discontinued it due to the lack of sales. “We weren’t selling enough; it would maybe be one or two people a day and then we would end up just tossing the rest out.”

Though it seems that coffee can be harmful to students, it isn’t always so bad. Coffee can make people feel more awake and alert, which could lead to higher levels of productivity, which can be beneficial to the students learning.