Wrestlers fight for districts

Sophomore Elijah Bauman (far right) receives a medal for 5th place.

Briana Queen, Staff Writer

On Friday, February 10th , the Varsity wrestling team left school during 6th period to attend the PCAC tournament. PCAC (Pinellas County Athletic Conference) is a tournament that takes place before districts that has all the varsity teams from Pinellas County. This year the tournament took place at Countryside High School.

Osceola placed 9th out of all the teams attending. Sophomore varsity wrestler Elijah Bauman stated, “We wrestle in the Thunderdome and if you lose twice you get eliminated, if you don’t, you get to come back for the second day. I wrestled really good schools and won some and lost some. I got 5th place out of the whole county for my weight class”. Sophomore Kendall Morrison stated, “My favorite part of PCAC was getting to go back for the second day; I was proud.” Following PCAC comes districts, and then those who win go to regionals. After regionals is states.

Districts will take place on Saturday, February 18th at Dixie Hollins High School. To decide which students are going to districts, the team, according to Sophomore Walter Zawacki, “does wrestle-offs, where two people from a weight class wrestle and the person that wins gets to go”. Zawacki also added, “The people going to districts follow the tradition of bleaching their hair for the tournament; it’s an honor to get to bleach it and it’s a sign of respect”. Other upcoming wrestling events include Regionals at Charlotte High School on February 24th and 25th and the state tournament at Silver Spurs Arena in Orlando.