Lightning strike too late

Justine Zitman

Lauren Callahan shows support for the team.

Jake Nicholas, Staff Writer

OPINION

This season has been a major fail in the eyes of Lightning fans. For a team who made the Stanley Cup Finals two years ago, and fell one game short of another trip to the finals last year, the expectations for another deep post season run is high. However with only 3 games left in the season, the chance of making it into the playoffs as a wildcard is slim to none. The Lightning are currently two spots out of the final wildcard place which is currently held by the Boston Bruins. The Bruins are 4 points ahead of the Lightning, but Tampa has a game in hand on Boston. The match up between the two teams last Tuesday was essential for both teams. Boston came out swinging and defeated Tampa 4-0. The Lightning had very little room to slip up, and with the loss their chances of making the playoffs are near impossible. Lifelong Lightning fan Brandon Arms believes the Lightning still have a chance of making the playoffs even with Tuesday’s loss. “We’ve had an up and down season,” said Arms, “but if we win the rest of our games, I believe we will sneak into the playoffs.”

Other students who aren’t Lightning fans have different views on the last playoff spot. Junior Tyler Sawyers who is a Florida Panthers fan believes the Lightning have left it too late. “The Lightning have been strong for years, but the injury to Stamkos has really hurt them.” Captain Steven Stamkos has been out with a torn right lateral meniscus since a November game against the Detroit Red Wings. “Stamkos is the best player on the team” said Arms “When you lose a player like him, it really hurts a team.” Tampa’s next game is an away game against the Toronto Maple Leafs.