Students learn college tips and tricks

Malia Crew, Guest Writer

Access to the College and Career Center located in Room 501 is a service offered to Warriors. The College and Career Center works with students to help them make a plan for after high school. The coordinator is Julia Long, who advises students to help them explore career and college options they might be interested in. Ms. Long collaborates with guidance counselors to spread awareness of this tool offered to students. This center offers websites to educate students on scholarships and how to find the right courses for them. Ms. Long’s best advice for students planning their college and career paths is to “ignore what everyone is doing, and focus on yourself and do what you want to do”. Below are steps she provides for students to follow to prepare for the future.

Step 1: Students can plan a day to go to room 501 to talk to the Readiness Coordinator Mrs. Long. This can take place during the day or either lunch.

Step 2: Students can work with Ms. Long to make a Big Futures account to learn about financial aid, potential courses, and college options.

Step 3: Then students can log into Naviance and discuss with Ms. Long tasks to complete to find courses and careers.

Step 4: Students can also create a Khan Academy account to get personalized preparations for SAT in order to get the highest score they can.

Step 5: Ms. Long can then talk to students about scholarships available to them as well as how to get them.

Step 6: Students then create a community service and academic plan to gain scholarships such as Bright Futures based upon Ms. Long’s guidance and recommendations.

Step 7: Lastly, students can then follow up with Ms. Long with any lingering questions as they journey through out high school.