Deputy warns Warriors to watch their profile, posts

Kaia Walker

Deputy Lewis is giving a presentation on school safety.

Ela Bruno, Guest Writer

Social media is a worldwide resource, which also means it comes with risks when using it. Many young adults are victims to the risks of social media. Deputy Lewis said that he understands that social media can bring people together. “Social media is an outstanding resource for like-minded people”, he said.  But on the other hand, he said that many teens can be sucked into the dark side of social media. For example, cyber bullying.

Q: What should a student do if the feel they’re a victim of cyber bullying?

A: “First step is to block them, and the second is to tell a parent” Reporting the person that has done the cyber bullying is important because it potentially prevents them from doing it to others.

Q: What are the consequences of cyber bullying?

A: “A student that gets accused of cyberbullying can face fines or even jail time.” Another part of social media to keep track of is what gets posted, and how much is shared.

Q: What are the biggest mistakes students make with social media?

A: “Not turning off trackers on apps, and sharing too much information. If someone wants to find a student, it’s not hard when they post everywhere they go.” What is being posted can affect a student’s future whether they think it will or not.

Q: Can posts online potentially affect students’ future?

A: “Yes, what a student posts online can impact their future jobs”. Another point to consider is account security, if one has weak security on their accounts, they are at the risk of being hacked.

Q: What is a good way to ensure security online?

A: “Make sure you are only seen by who you choose”.

Q: How can a student make sure their accounts are secure from hacking?

A: “Go through privacy settings and make sure everything is closed off and create complex passwords”. A way to create a complex password is by replacing letters or numbers with symbols.