Big Red Bus drops by Osceola

Donation buses from previous blood drives at Osceola were blue.  OneBlood now has bright red buses.

Josh Wittman

Donation buses from previous blood drives at Osceola were blue. OneBlood now has bright red buses.

Allison Richards, Writer

Students will soon have the opportunity to make a difference by donating blood to the One Blood foundation if interested on October 5th.   Students should be aware that if they want to donate, blood is broken down into four components: red blood cells, white cells, platelets, and plasma.  Each of the four components can be donated to OneBlood at either one of their locations or OneBlood takes donations on the Big Red Bus.  The Big Red bus will be coming to Osceola on Wednesday, October 5th during periods second through sixth.  If anyone is interested in signing up to participate in the blood drive, there will be a representative from OneBlood at school during both lunches on Monday October 3rd and Tuesday October 4th to receive a permission form for the blood donation.  Each student “needs to come back with them [permission slips] on the day of the blood drive in order to donate” said Mrs. Hlavacka, who is running the event. “ALL need a permission slip”.  No permission slip means that you are not allowed to donate, so if you would like to donate to OneBlood, remember to bring it to school on Monday, October 5th .  Students like junior Amanda Cooke “didn’t even know that [the blood drive] was coming, but are not sure if I can donate”. Students do not need to be 18 to donate; students 16 and older are eligible to give blood.  The donation process will be assisted by the school’s Interact Club which is based on the members’ desire to participate in events that “affect a larger number of people” said Mrs. Hlavacka, the Interact Club Sponsor.  Interact members are making posters with the drive’s information and students will be assisting on October 5th by providing snacks for people donating before and after their donation.  Some final advice for potential donators is to “eat a large breakfast and drink plenty of water” said Mrs. Hlavacka.