Seniors prepare for life after high school

Josh Jones

Mrs. Stone teaches her 2nd period AVID class.

Joe Ligrani, Writer

With school now in full swing, seniors are beginning to get ready for what is ahead of them. In early May an estimated 373 seniors will be graduating from Osceola and many of them have some very incredible plans. However, they still have around 7 months until graduation day which means there is still plenty of work to be done, including turning in senior dues and college applications.

One discussion among the senior class is college. Certain students have been preparing to get into a 4 year college since they were in the 6th grade. “Some colleges look back to even before middle school so it puts a lot of pressure on students”, said Nate Diakos, senior. Three things that colleges focus on are test scores, GPA and extracurricular activities. One way students can get a head start towards good GPA, and test scores is by taking Mrs. Stone’s AVID class for college readiness. Some colleges also ask for letters of recommendation and an essay. Aside from college, some seniors are ready to branch out away from home. One senior is planning to be moving into a 2 bedroom apartment after graduation. “I’m excited to be on my own,” he said. “It’s the next chapter of my life and it’s going to be nice to have my own place”.

Today seniors will be going to class just like all other Osceola students. They still have this year to complete and some must pass classes like English 4 and Economics in order to walk at graduation. A good amount of the senior class is going to graduate early in this December. The 12th grade class’s only worry is if the infamous senioritis will get to them like it has to some seniors in the past.