It’s back! Carnegie strikes again

Students+may+prefer+the+new+version+of+Carnegie.+

Josh Jones

Students may prefer the new version of Carnegie.

Allison Richards, Writer

“We just started and I’m already over it”, said sophomore Amanda Weitz.  For math students it is that time of year again; Carnegie has begun.  Students who have surpassed the levels of math that require Carnegie, like sophomore Pre-calculus student Katy Campbell, recall the program being “frustrating and picky which made it hard to complete”. Although students from the past and present have negative views on Carnegie, the program this year may just surprise them.  Mrs. Richey the Algebra 2 teacher said that students should have a “much better” experience with Carnegie this year because changes were made.  Pre-Calculus student Madison Palmer remembers “a lot of technical setbacks” involved in the website but that should no longer be an issue for Carnegie users.  “Sections were deleted that were difficult or had glitches”, stated Mrs. Richey which is supposed to make the program run smoother than in previous years.  Along with technical changes being dealt with concerning Carnegie, grading changes have been addressed as well.  Last year students taking Carnegie had to complete six sections every two weeks to turn in for an assignment grade but now the math teachers have switched things up.  Students now have to complete only four sections in the span of two weeks.  The decrease in sections plus the new internal changes to Carnegie should be beneficial to its users this year.  Mrs. Richey even commented that she feels “much better than last year “concerning the startup of Carnegie.  Math students at Osceola this year have a new platform to start on in comparison to students last year  so maybe students may feel different about Carnegie after graduating from that phase in their math career.  Either way, alumni of the program like Katy feel like “there was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders” after completing Carnegie.  Let’s wait and see what this year’s Carnegie users have to say about the program once their term has been served.