NEHS throws literature a party

Margaret Hynes, Writer

NEHS, or the National English Honor Society, is a prestigious high school organization that celebrates the wonderful world of literature through various events and activities. One of these events include the annual NEHS literary dinner.

“The literary dinner combines two of life’s pleasures:  food and literature. Each dish is inspired by a work of literature which ranges from fairy tales to classics. Plus, we have a terrific culinary program here, so those students have an opportunity to show off their skills for a real audience,” explained Dr. Herzhauser, organizer and “chief-of-staff” of NEHS.

The literary dinner took place on Wednesday night, March 2nd.

“Appetizers begin at 5:30. Appetizers: deviled eggs and meatpies, salad, seafood soup, ravioli entree, chocolate cake and tea for dessert,” says Dr. Herzhauser as she lists the many scrumptious delights that awaited attendees.

NEHS inductees and previous members all joined together to plan advertising, marketing strategies, food preparation ideas, literary inspirations, and much more. At around 4:00, NEHS members came early to the literary dinner to properly prepare for the big night. Parents, other family members, and other friends were all welcome with a ticket purchase of only $20.

“This is our second year. Honor societies engage in their communities through service projects. This evening celebrates the delight of the written word, unites people in a common theme of literature: communion, and it’s fun–even if it is a lot of work,” says Dr. Herzhauser.

With previously planned lighting techniques, table organization, literary theme planning and implementation, and more, the literary dinner event was definitely well-prepped for and an eventful night of good eats and good reads!